Wednesday, May 23, 2012

0+yn/The Failed NASA Experiment split cs


0+yn/The Failed NASA Experiment
split cs
The Lows and Highs



This cassette has really challenged me as a reviewer. Let's face it, I am a shit writer. I write like I speak and for those that know me I am scatter brained stuttering lunatic who talks about ten things at once and often starts to act in the middle of a description. Voices, sound effects and gestures. It's like trying to talk to the entire 1975 theatre arts class from your community college all at once. That said let me try not to fuck this review up too much. Both artists on this cassette do very similar work. Both use massive bits of sound collage, loops, guitars, voices, samples (used perfectly), drones, hand drums to create something amazing. 0+yn has elements of John Coltrane, Ravi Shankar, The Velvet Underground, NON, SUNN0))), Nurse with Wound, Throbbing Gristle, The Beatles… it's all of that and none of it as well. I am in total awe. The Failed Nasa Experiment approaches things in a very similar way. Minimal nods to world music, Tibetian chants, Radiohead, Yellow Swans, Aaron Dilloway, Master Musicians of Bukkake, Six Organs of Admittance…  Again none of these are totally accurate comparisons but it may give you an idea of what are in store for. I will be listening to this tape for sometime.
     The packaging is great. It's a four paneled J card that unfolds into a small poster that is also a reversible j card. The artwork reminds of some of the Nurse with Wound collage covers you probably own. Nice simple use of type. Garamond I believe, which is one of my favorites. It's really well done. High marks all around.
     Would I buy this? Yes, I may have to buy another, just in case.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet, thanks for the review. It's really appreciated when people take the time to listen and write.

    A) Yes, it's Garamond. I love Garamond.

    B) Props to Ian Watson (http://uhohwatson.com/) for the illustration work that enhanced our collage artwork into something really special.

    ReplyDelete